The Safe Haven West Side Basketball League (SHWSBL) is a nonprofit community organization that, since 1988, has provided quality recreational programs to school-age children and teens within a family-oriented setting.
Originally a winter league, the organization has expanded and now provides programs year-round geared to players at all levels of experience.
Boys and girls ages 7 – 18 who attend public, private, parochial or charter schools are welcome to participate.
- Recreational League Play: Games and practices are scheduled Saturdays or Sundays from January through March in Upper West Side public school gyms. Boys and girls divisions consist of age/grade groupings; the youngest players’ group is coed.
- Fall Pre-season Program: A six to eight- week coed program for players who want to learn the game, get ready for school tryouts, improve their skills or just have fun! Sundays in October and November.
- Spring Sundays: Following winter league team play. A coed program from April to early June. Instruction, scrimmaging and positive vibes!
- Presidents Week and Spring Break Mini-Camps: Three or four- day coed programs scheduled during public school breaks. (Follows the public school calendar). Full days of instruction, games and contests. For ages 7 – 13.
- Special Needs: We are developing a new program for players with cognitive and other developmental challenges. Details will follow.
Parent and Family Participation:
SHWSBL is a family affair! Parents and older siblings are invited to participate as coaches, assistant coaches, division managers, score/timekeepers, and photographers.
Community Service and Internship Opportunities:
High school students can earn community service credits in several ways: working with younger children, assisting with gym management and providing tech/social media support.
Internships are available in fall and spring programs as well as in mini-camps.
Donations and Sponsorships
In order to keep fees affordable and to provide full and partial scholarship assistance, the Safe Haven West Side Basketball League welcomes contributions over and above the registration fees. Businesses, organizations or individuals may choose to sponsor divisions or teams; all contributions are tax-deductible.
- For general questions or information, please use our Safe Haven Basketball Contact Form
- Online registration is available through our LeagueApps system.
- If you choose to register by mail, please download our Mail-in Registration form.
Mail or Drop off form and payment payable to:
Safe Haven West Side Basketball League
c/o Copy Experts, Box 257, at 2424 Broadway (89th Street), New York, NY 10024.